It’s Not Your Normal Advice
Keys for College Success is unlike most of what has been written about how to succeed in college. This website is not about:
- how to choose a major;
- how to select a college or university;
- how to obtain financial aid;
- how to read a textbook;
- note taking;
- test taking; or
- common sense advice such as “study hard” and “get plenty of sleep.”
HOWEVER, if you are looking for help in these areas, click on the Resources tab.
Keys for College Success is about:
- the characteristics of successful college students;
- the realities of being a college student;
- misconceptions about what is takes to succeed in college;
- how some students create their own problems;
- how some parents and others can create problems;
- how to avoid common problems; and
- how to solve problems that cannot be avoided.
Just some of the topics covered in Keys for College Success are:
- creating a course schedule;
- seeking good advice;
- developing positive relationships with instructors; and
- staying out of trouble.
These topics are addressed from three points of view, which are:
- identifying potential problems;
- avoiding problems, and
- effectively dealing with problems that arise.